Bucket list item = dream come true. I always wanted to see the Macy's parade in person, and the birth of our niece Celine earlier in the year made that a possibility. We decided to celebrate Thanksgiving in NY with the Somar's, so parade here we come.
The weather had been terrible, and we weren't even sure we'd make it to NY, but despite the wind and rain, we made it!
You can go the night before to see the balloons inflated. Because of the weather we thought this might be our only shot to see them. If it's too windy, no balloons in the parade!
Brian and Mike got down to the parade route just before 5 am to get us an upfront spot. By 8 we were all snuggled together to wait until 9 when the parade started (it's about 10 people deep by then)!
no more pictures Mom
Andrew waving at Sonic
the balloons did fly, but they had to stay low
all of the handlers are dressed like their balloon
not as many kids along the route as I expected, we saw every clown, character, confetti throwing person there was
(we are still finding confetti)
On a personal memory note . . . there are times you don't want your camera to fail. Mine did. The camera card decided it didn't want to hold any more photos (even though it showed room for 400+ more), the extra card was in the hotel room, my phone battery died, Brian's phone battery died. But you know what, part of me is ok with that, I don't have every memory captured on technology, but I did get to see the joy on my son's faces when they got high 5's from power rangers, and I got to laugh with the boys when the clowns took each of their hats off to put confetti on their heads. I'm so glad we have proof of these memories, but I'm also happy that I got the reminder to live in these moments when they're happening!






No comments:
Post a Comment